Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Monday, October 1, 2007

Comfort Food

I don't know if it's the weather or the impending time of the month (yeah, that means exactly what you think it does) or having sick kids for a couple weeks now, but I am on a comfort food kick.

Baked a loaf of bread this morning. A sweet white bread, kind of like those King's Hawaiian Rolls they sell at the store, but with a nice crisp crust. Perfect eaten warm with real butter (don't even attempt this with margarine, except maybe Earth Balance 100% vegan sticks; they aren't horrible and I use them when baking dairy-free for my son).

Baked Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Bars later in the morning. Have you ever had these? The recipe is in Death By Chocolate Cookies, by Marcel Desaulniers. I modify it a little, of course, because I can never leave well enough alone. If you want the recipe, let me know. It uses a full cup of butter (European, if you can get it). Could kill a person, I'm sure.

Had a glorious lunch with my daughter of peanut butter on Saltines, followed by long shavings of Parmesan Reggiano - the good stuff, not some American-made knockoff - eaten out of hand. Washed down with soy milk (her) and Diet Coke (me). Terribly healthy, I know. A well-balanced meal, to be sure.

Currently defrosting a pork tenderloin for dinner, to be cooked with a cranberry sauce. I'll serve it with mashed sweet potatoes, fresh barely-cooked green beans. Not sure what else. Well, the bread from this morning, of course.

Maybe a stew tomorrow. That's comfort food, for sure.

13 comments:

Vixen said...

Day-um chickie.....I want you to come cook at MY house! LOL

SheenV said...

Ok, now you are trying to seduce me with your cooking... and very much succeeding!

Anonymous said...

It's the weather.

And damn, now I feel like baking.

Michelle said...

Mmmm the bread sounds good! SO do those bar thingies!! LOL

The saltines and peanut butter...hmmm not so much..hehe

h said...

I'm writing everyone on my "Blog's Read" list to announce a name change for my blog. It's now:

http://thetrollreport.blogspot.com

If I'm on your blog-list or you use a Mute Monday logo, please change it.

Edtime Stories said...

Reggiano is the KING of cheese the green can is a crime.

Anonymous said...

Ah you are positively evil. I just finished my dinner, am completely full, and then after I finish reading this post I'm craving food again!

Mmm, could you post that recipe or send it to me? Yeah, that amount of butter could definately kill someone! ^o^ But it would be a tasty death I'm sure.

~d said...

YOW!
This sounds marvelous!
Like: tasty, tasty! MMMmmmm

Constance said...

Bunny,
oh my. Yummmmmmm. Comfort food - I'm addicted to it. My tongue loves it and my expanding waistline hates it...
That is my favorite kind of bread by the way...

Loving Annie

Prettylyf said...

Mmh mmh the bread sounds so scrumptious. I could eat a whole bag of the Hawaiian rolls

Now I'm starting to feel famished lol

Anonymous said...

Soooo hungry now!!! I want a brown sugar chocolate chip bar!!!!

crse said...

I wish i spent yesterday at your house. I would enjoy a nice stew today though...

The Creeper said...

Ok, so now I've been thinking about baking since I read this post and I've decided to go for it.

I have taken Friday off work for a multitude of reasons and will be baking a big batch of brownies to send off to my friend in Iraq. Ha. I get to bake, he gets homemade goodies, and they don't go straight to my shrinking ass. Win/win/win situation.