Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Hey-O, Can I Get a 'w00t w00t' for w00t?

w00t

That is Merriam-Webster's choice for word of the year 2007.

I don't know about this one. For one thing, it's letters and numbers pretending to be a word. Substituting numbers for letters in a word to create a difficult to break password that you can remember makes loads of sense. For example, app13533d = appleseed. Outside that context, I don't see the point. But I'm not an online gamer, so I suppose it isn't meant for me anyway.

But "w00t" just doesn't strike the same chord as last year's word "Truthiness." Now that was a word. Some of this year's runners-up would have been better, in my opinion. "Blamestorm" (a meeting in which mistakes are aired, fingers are pointed and much discomfort is had by all) is a cool word. Even facebook as a verb.

What do you think?

11 comments:

Blue said...

I use w00t and w00p and I'm not an online gamer.... I got it from my NZ friend.

Vixen said...

Um....

No. I don't like that. LOL I mean. I have been known to use it occasionally but I by no means think it should be hte 'word' of the year from them.

Doh.

Constance said...

I think old MW is on drugs. wOOt !

The Creeper said...

I can say I have never used w00t. Then again, we all know I live under a rock. LOL!

Trueself said...

Warning: Curmudgeonly comment ahead.

No! No, no, no! No "official" words mix letters with numbers. It just ain't right. I might have accepted woot as a word but certainly not w00t. Cringe. Aack. The end of the world grows nigh!

Edtime Stories said...

I have a former collegue who helps pick the words...I can't believe he thinks w00t is a word. lol

Anonymous said...

Is it wrong that this is the first I'm ever hearing about this 'word'?

G-Man said...

I think it's time for some skin...xoxox

Anonymous said...

This is what happens when desperation sets in. I like woot as a word. I like w00t as a site, but not enough to call it a "word."

Same thing with FaceBook. Who uses FaceBook as a verb. "I am going to go FaceBook him and see what he is up to?"

Nope not once have a heard (or even read) somebody using FaceBook in that way. I wonder who submitted that entry (FaceBook, I am assuming).

-Joe Flirt

Mr R Rabbit said...

I've not considered American English to be a genuine language for years, this just helps confirm it.

Though some of their other top ten words for the year are better. Conundrom. Quixotic. Words with a proper taste to them.

C said...

I'm an online gamer and I use it quite often. w00t with numbers or woot with letters, either way is fine,.. but it just means hurrah! (without sounding archaic).