Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Saturday, July 14, 2007

Monojoy!!

Turns out the Girl has Epstein-Barr Virus, aka infectious mononucleosis, commonly called "mono." Yep, my two-year-old has "the kissing disease." Her first blood test, the quick mono screen, showed she did not have mono, but the second, more definitive EBV test showed that she does have it. Joy and more joy. The best part: there's nothing we can do about it anyway!! It's a virus. We just have to treat the symptoms (just a fever for her) and let it run it's course. She actually seems to be feeling better. Her fever hasn't topped 101 degrees F since Thursday. At least the 103 degree fevers have stopped - two weeks of that was hard on all of us!! She's eating better too. Hopefully she'll reach 22 pounds soon! (She's a couple weeks from 2.5 yrs old; most kids are 22 pounds by age 1 or so).

The doctor tells us mono has a 4-6 week incubation period, so we'll likely never know where she got it. So I don't even have anyone to blame. Shoot.

10 comments:

sandy shoes said...

Good to know what it is, at least. Sounds like you've rounded the bend... hope she's past it all soon.

Anonymous said...

Thanks Good Bunny, 'Cause it was sounding serious. I'm glad she's doing better. Cheers & Better Luck, 'VJ'

Anonymous said...

It's good you now know for sure what it is. Now you just have to keep a close eye on her and be careful. I'm surprised you're still having such a hard time getting her to sleep.

I had mono the last couple of months of my senior year, and it wasn't any fun. All I really wanted to do was sleep. Fortunately, most of my teachers were supportive and I still managed to graduate on time.

The Made Up Maiden said...

It's much better when you know what the disease is, instead of wondering and worrying...I'm so glad she's feeling better...It must have been really tough for you and your hubby!

Anonypus said...

Good thoughts for you. Hope she feels better.

Edtime Stories said...

sorry to hear that, I hope she feels better soon, that is one strong virus..who knows where it came from.

The inside of me said...

I never heard of someone so young getting it. I hope she feels better soon.

ZigZagMan said...

I remember mono....I was 15...hope the little one shakes it soon Bunny :)

Mrs.ZigZagMan said...

Last I read up on EBV 90% of adults have been exposed at some point in their lives. While sick kids are never fun at least she is getting over it now... after age 13 the effect is very debiltating. Good Luck on the no sharing thing.

The Bizza said...

I hope your little one feels better soon.