Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Friday, March 7, 2008

A Bit of a Scare Today

and I'm not talking about my MIL visiting! Though she did, but that was okay. The kids loved seeing Grandma K.

No, the scare was earlier. Spousehole called from work around 9:30 and said "They're calling people into a conference room one at a time. The guys who've come back so far have all been told March 28 is their last day and they three weeks' severance pay." Shit. People who've been there way longer than Spousehole were getting axed. Spousehole figured he was going to "get the call" any minute. Shitfuckdamn.

He came home around noon. He still has a job. He doesn't yet know all the details, but apparently his company is going to continue supplying IT services to our municipality. They had to make cuts in accordance with their new contract and quite a few people on Spousehole's team were cut. But the company wants to send Spousehole to Palm Springs (CA) for two weeks of training to get him up to speed to take over administering some part of their GIS system (I can't explain it - I don't understand that stuff at all), so apparently he is staying on. But since he'll still be doing everything he has been doing plus taking over what another guy has been doing, the $2000/year raise they gave him a few weeks ago is looking really, really lame.

He still kept an appointment this afternoon concerning a job in Orlando. Best to keep one's options open.

12 comments:

Anonymous said...

Geeez, sounds like they need to triple that raise now. At least he still has a job though...

Sailor said...

wow, frightening times but I'm glad that he's still got the job- although slick is right, that raise should be tripled!

The Bizza said...

I'm glad he managed to keep his position. Sounds like a frightening ordeal.

for a different kind of girl said...

I dread the "can you meet with the HR director this morning" meetings. Though it helped me become a stay at home mom, it still rips the air out of you. Glad he still has a job, but it sucks they may get by without paying him for the extra work.

Anonymous said...

It would have totally sucked if he'd have gotten axed. If another reasonable raise isn't forthcoming, I'd still be looking, too.

TAG said...

Wow. Talk about a small world. I talked today to the fellow who will be leading that training in Palm Springs.

At the time we were comparing schedules. I'll be on the road for awhile longer. This GIS person was trying to let me know I wasn't the only "road warrior" around.

When he mentioned the Palm Springs thing I didn't think anything about it. Imagine my surprise when reading your post.

TAG

Anonymous said...

Yep, definitely a good thing that he still has a job. His stress about work seems to have been validated too. It sounds like his job really was at risk.

h said...

Take the Orlando Job. C.O.L. MUCH lower. S.O.L. higher. Recent economic strength and projected future strength has Orlando LIGHT YEARS ahead.

Think long-term. Piddly raise or not, a year from now the hubby will again be stressed out and looking all over the World for other opportunities if you stay there.

If he moves to O-Town, he'll either be happy and secure or he can look ACROSS THE STREET for a better opportunity.

Edtime Stories said...

wow.. lots of stress eh? hug

A. Secret said...

I love shitfuckdamn.
XX

Vixen said...

That is frightening. I hope it all works out the way you want it to.

*hugs*

Anonymous said...

The thing I can never understand is that companies do this, and then expect loyalty from the remaining employees.