Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Friday, January 25, 2008

The Killers ARE NOT SKA

I was shocked and dismayed to talk with a teenager the other day who had never heard of the Mighty Mighty Bosstones. What is this world coming to? Kid was saying how much he likes the Killers (Mr. Brightside, etc.) and ska generally. I was all "Oh no you didn't - The Killers are NOT ska. I like them, but they aren't ska." How did that boy think THAT was ska. Do people not educate their young in these vital matters? He did have an appreciation of Mustard Plug (local boys - their former drummer is a buddy), so I knew the kid was redeemable. I loaned him some Mighty Mighty Bosstones. I figured he should have AT LEAST recognized this one:

9 comments:

Aunty Belle said...

Folks not only ain't edoocatin' they young'uns, but they ain't edoocatin' they elders either--whas' SKA???

Aunty Belle said...

OH, an HAppy Birthday Li'l Thang (belatedly)...that were a great account of her conception and birth. Ain't nuthin' wrong wif' bein' Petite!

h said...

I invented SKA at Skipper's Roadhouse last century. Question:

Why would you WANT to converse with a teen-ager on any subject beyond telling them to SHUT THE HELL UP?

Anonymous said...

Mr. Wonderful is in constant music education with me...but I do remember these guys!!

ZigZagMan said...

what the hell is ska.......I've been teaching my kids old school blues and Irish/Scottish rock.......;)

Edtime Stories said...

Yes but the MMBTs were a subska sound...I never thought of them as SKA Though fun and dancable

Vixen said...

O.M.G!!!!

I freaking LOVED them!!!! Thank you for taking me down memory lane! :)

Rae said...

I'm not even into ska, and I certainly know that the Killer are NOT IT!

Belated Happy Bday to Girl. Thos are pretty adorable pictures, and she is tiny--she's like a sweet little fairy!

Desmond Jones said...

Many, MANY years ago (*sigh*) I was sitting in a restaurant in the local college town (hey, it might've been while you were in school there!), and a Beatles song came on the piped-in radio station. In the booth behind me, I heard a kid say, "Hey, that sounds just like Paul McCartney!"

His buddy says, "Doofus - that IS Paul McCartney." And the kid says, "No - that's the Beatles."

And his buddy says, "Idiot - Paul McCartney was IN the Beatles!" And the kid says (I swear I am not making this up), "No; Paul McCartney's band is Wings."

And by then I'm just pounding my head on the table. . .