Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Parting is Such Sweet Sorrow

I'm going to miss Michigan.

I've been here since my 8th birthday. And I don't mean around my 8th birthday, I mean the exact day. How it happened I don't know, but the movers took our stuff a couple days before my birthday and my mother, 4-year-old sister, and I were scheduled to fly from North Carolina to Michigan on my 8th birthday. What a crappy birthday! I woke up in a motel room near the airport in Raleigh, flew from Raleigh to Chicago, then spent the whole damn day walking around, bored as heck, in O'Hare Airport. For some reason our flight was delayed and delayed and delayed some more, so there we sat: A 4-yr-old, an 8-yr-old pissed to be spending her birthday in an airport, and my stressed out mother. That she didn't strangle us and leave us in an airport lounge while she ran off to Rio was a miracle. I don't know if I could've survived it. Then again, I'm going to drive 1100 miles with a 3.5-yr-old hyper girl and a 7.5-yr-old autistic kid and two geriatric cats who will not be happy. What the hell am I thinking????

Anyway, I spent almost the entire day of my 8th birthday at one airport or another. We left Raleigh at 8 in the morning, getting to Chicago before 11 a.m. Our flight to Grand Rapids finally left at almost 10:30 p.m., getting us to Michigan at 11:30 p.m. The only good things were that my Dad was there to pick us up (I hadn't seen him for about 6 weeks) and he gave me a purple TV for my birthday. Apparently he felt awful for me having to spend my birthday traveling, so he got me a purple 13" b/w RCA TV for my bedroom in the new house. I was the only 8-yr-old I knew with her own TV in her room, so I guess it was pretty cool. Though I was terribly disappointed to learn that in 1975 cable television hadn't made it to our part of Michigan and we only got 4 channels. We had had a whole slew of channels back in Podunk North Carolina. Oh well. At least I had a purple TV. (We finally got cable when I was 16).

I hope my kids aren't expecting any purple TVs, because it ain't gonna happen. They're going to have to be satisfied with being with their dad again, because that's all they are getting. And a new house, in a new town, with a new school, etc. A total freaking upheaval of everything they know. But we'll be a family again and that will be good. They need their Dad and he needs them. And I need a co-parent. This single parent thing sucks ass. Bad.

I'm hoping I get to see PiC once more before we leave. I could use a good, hard romp as a send-off. We'll see; perhaps the stars will align and we'll both be free at the same time.

* * * * *

My kids and I have been listening to this song since before Christmas, so I'm glad it's FINALLY out as a video that I can embed here. In fact, last night Boy and I were singing it in the car while Girl shook her green and white MSU pom-poms in her carseat. A lovely mother-children moment.



To blog is a self-invasion of privacy

12 comments:

Osbasso said...

Safe journey, and best of luck as the new minivan mom in the neighborhood! If things get really bad, just remember that we're all out here--we don't change!

h said...

They have a Division of Stranding Families with Small Children Department at O'Hare. It's in the Union Contract.

for a different kind of girl said...

I've been to O'Hare once, and I was stranded there the equivalent of 100 years. Or 9 hours. Had I the fortitude not to be freaked about driving somewhere I've never driven, I'd have just rented a damn car and been home in 6.

Hope your journey is safe, and that everyone settles in nicely in the new place together!

(god help me, I dig that Kid Rock!)

Project Christopher said...

yay on the mother-child moment, gag-a-mag on the singer. Can't stand him....

In absentia I welcome you to South Carolina! It may be a bit foreign, but give it time.... you'll do fine. Consider it this way, you just extended your summer2008 by 3 months!

h said...

According to the Troll Method, there's a 7% chance SC is going to get pounded by TS Fay. And a 3% chance she'll be a Hurricane by then.

Travel safe.

Brian Gardes said...

Safe travels Bunny. May South Carolina lead to more sex, fewer disputes with the neighbors, better luck with transportation for your son, and increased opportunities for HNT.

We'll miss you while you are away!

Desmond Jones said...

Michigan will miss you too, Bunny. . .

My family moved from the Detroit 'burbs to our new home Up North over the weekend of President Kennedy's funeral. Memorable move, that one. . .

Anonymous said...

SC is going to be great. I've never had anything but an outstanding time in that state!

G-Man said...

Hill-Billy Bunny?

M...safe journey..xo

ZigZagMan said...

while I love this song....I thought it was a spoof at first of werewolves of london....

Pity you are not into smokers.....:)

sandy shoes said...

O'Hare. Ugh.

Moving is bittersweet, isn't it. I hope you soon find things to love about your new home.

Keep us posted.

Lady in red said...

have a safe and uneventful journey

hugs

LiR