Is it a sex blog? A mommy blog? A bitch & moan blog? Um, . . . yeah. This is my place to be totally honest. In my real life, I feel like I'm always lying to somebody about something. Here, I am totally honest. Brutally so. However, no matter what bad things I say about my kids, I adore them and would never ever really, say, sell them on Ebay. The husband, often referred to as Spousehole, is another story. Oh yeah - if you are under 18 (or if you are my husband), please leave now.

Friday, May 23, 2008

I'm Alive, But Not Kicking (Being Kicked . . . )

You've probably been wondering if I just fell off the face of the earth - no HNT two weeks in a row! I've just been hella busy. There's the cleaning (decluttering, packing, and actual cleaning) and home improvement projects, landscape improvements, and kid-wrangling. I'm tired. Very, very tired.

This is most mornings at my house:

Hurry Up!  The bus is here!
see more crazy cat pics

Wednesday it got worse after that. Actually he went to the bus okay, but once on the bus, Boy had a total freaking meltdown. Kicking, hitting, twisting himself into a pretzel, trying to bite (which is kind of amusing, since he lost his two front teeth). He kicked me in the sternum, knocking the breath right out of me. When I left him on the bus, he was screaming, but his harness was clipped in and it seemed like he would calm down once he left our street. That's his usual M.O. when he has a fit.

Not this time. He banged his head on the bus window frame all the way to school, unclipped his harness (four clips and a seat belt), and was just agitated and upset all the way to school. Once at school, he got off the bus and banged his head on the sidewalk. After he sat for 30 minutes in the bean bag chair in the classroom with a cold pack on his head, he had a great day of school. Cooperative, compliant, and happy. Go figure. But now he has a nasty set of bruises and scrapes on his forehead. Lines from the window frame on the bus, scrapes from the cement sidewalk. I was going to get his hair cut yesterday, but decided against it until the injuries are less visible. At least his longish hair covers them right now.

Then Thursday he went on the bus just as easy as could be, helped clip his harness to the seat, and was a happy camper. I'm not sure what will happen today. So far he ate his breakfast like a champ (after throwing up all over MY bed last night, he must have been hungry!), but doesn't want to wear underwear or pants. That's part of the joys of having a totally unpredictable autistic child.

Postscript: I got him to wear pants, but he didn't want to get on the bus. He said "Ride car today, please." I'm such a sucker, I relented. But then he didn't want to get in the car, took off his seatbelt and climbed into the wayback of the minivan, and cried at school to try to get me to take him home. No dice. I left him there, crying his eyes out. I feel so awful when I do that, but they tell me he calms down as soon as I'm gone 95% of the time.

10 comments:

sandy shoes said...

WOW.

His poor head! Your poor sternum!

As someone who values predictability maybe more than most people, I can't imagine how hard that must be. I would need serious help.

Here's hoping for a good string of calm days ahead.

The Creeper said...

I'm not sure I would be equipped to deal with that. Ok, I know I would manage, but I am ever so thankful that the worst I've had recently was Doodlebug flinging a shoe across the room because it was tighter than the other. It's a brand-new shoe. He told me they fit. Just what on God's green Earth does he want me to do about it?

Anyhow, I hope all is well and you are able to get into a better routine. I would imagine the changes that have gone on most recently are upsetting the usual applecart.

*hugs*

Mina Lamieux said...

well sweetie, we are right there with you on the "busy busy busy"! We have missed a few HNTs as well. Take care and come back soon! *hugs*

for a different kind of girl said...

I'm sorry you two had such a rough start to the day. I hope the weekend, and the visit from his Dad his helpful and goes well!

Pluff said...

Hope the packing is going well!

I seriously admire your patience.

Sailor said...

Wow, that's a rough way to start any day. Hope today is better, and you get some time for you

Anonymous said...

Wow! I feel for you Bunny.
Better days ahead, I'm sure.

Lady in red said...

It must be really hard for you to witness his pain in this way.

Stealth said...

You are quite a woman, do you know that?

Two of the kids I sometimes look after have special needs and one has downs and the other has ... Aspergers? I doubt I spelled that correctly. We thought he was deaf for a long time when he was a toddler, and he was always kicking and hitting and ramming and jamming.

Now we know that he is autistic. I remember he was very unpredictable. :) He's a great lil guy though.

I know what you mean about being a sucker. I cave to my kids all the time :P

Vixen said...

Ugh.

*HUGS*